Brief Introduction of the 1st International Marine Cultural Creative Design Competition In 2019
1. Background & Significance
In recent years, with the introduction of the concepts of “marine economy”, “marine power”, “Belt and Road” and “Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area”, ocean has appeared more and more frequently in the blueprint of national development. In August 2019, "Opinions of the CPC Central Committee and the State Council on Supporting Shenzhen to Build Pioneering Socialism Zone with Chinese Characteristics" re-emphasized support for Shenzhen to accelerate the construction of a global ocean center city. In response of the call of the times, it is high time for marine cultural creative design! The International Marine Cultural Creative Design Competition is a marine cultural and creative event initiated by Shenzhen for domestic and foreign designers as well as colleges students. The competition will start from Shenzhen and launch a call for marine cultural innovations around the world, attracting outstanding designers to go near the ocean, to the ocean, and work together to the new development of the ocean.
Under the new opportunities of the ocean, let us jointly ignite the lighthouse of marine cultural creative design and become a member of it.
2. Positioning of the Competition
As the 1st International Marine Cultural Creative Design Competition, the organizing committee gathered three groups of propositions for the competitors, including: the cultural creative design of Shenzhen as an ocean city, the propositions of the eight major sea-related museums in China, and the proposition of diversified marine elements, inviting outstanding designers from all over the world to participate in the construction of the marine culture of Shenzhen, the cultural creative design of sea-related museums and the vast ocean, helping to create the marine cultural symbols of the Shenzhen as a Global Ocean Center City, adding vitality to the development of the marine cultural creative design of sea-related museums, and contributing to the country's dream of a strong marine power!
3. Theme of the Competition
Creativity · Sea The Future
4. Organizing Structure
Sponsor: Planning and Natural Resources Bureau of Shenzhen（Municipal Ocean and Fisheries Bureau)
Organizers: Shenzhen Marine Culture & Art Research Society
Ocean Art Research Center of Shenzhen University
Co-organizers: China Maritime Museum, China Port Museum, China (Hainan) Museum of the South China Sea, Maritime Silk Road Museum of Guangdong, Guangzhou Museum, The Opium War Museum, Fangchenggang Museum, Zhongshan Warship Museum
Group A: Cultural Creative Design of Shenzhen As An Ocean City
Interpretation of the theme: “The decision to accelerate the construction of a global ocean center city” issued by Shenzhen Municipal Party Committee and Municipal Government aims to build a global ocean center city, draw on the experience of internationally renowned ocean cities, and set the development goal for the next 30 years as "Compete the construction of a global ocean center city to the middle of this century”. Today, the ocean that carries the myriad romantic imaginations of mankind is becoming the "new engine" for the development of the city of Shenzhen. On this occasion, let us add vitality to the construction of Shenzhen as an Ocean City with a young perspective and strength, express the culture of the ocean city, and help Shenzhen to create a cultural business card as an ocean city.
Group B: Design of cultural creative derivative products in the collections of the eight major sea-related museums
Interpretation of the theme: With the national maritime power strategy and the “Belt and Road” construction vision, China’s sea-related museums (A variety of museums with distinctive elements including domestic maritime, water transport, boat, Maritime Silk Road , port, customs, ocean city, folk culture museums etc.) ushered in a new era of development. The organizing committee of the competition invited China's eight major sea-related museums to help with the competition with its collection of precious cultural relics that reflect the history and wisdom of the Chinese nation and the ocean, and hoped that the innovative generation will bring about new charm and the creative transformation of traditional marine culture with allows cultural heritage to enter the homes of ordinary people.
Interpretation of the theme: 70% of the earth is covered by the oceans. The mysterious veil of the ocean is slowly opening with the advancement of science and technology. Exploring the ocean is like opening the door to a new world. Standing in front of the door, we see the story of Jingwei, Poseidon, the Little Mermaid, and many other legends of the ocean, as well as various states of marine life, the depth of its energy, the beauty of its scenery and the emotions. The ocean world is all-encompassing, and the creative inspiration is also inexhaustible. Under the call of the times, marine cultural creative industry has great potential. Being close to the ocean, loving the ocean, and protecting the ocean are the responsibilities that the times have given us. This is our song of the ocean and our praise to the ocean.
The competition invites college students, cultural creative enterprises and outstanding designers to submit marine cultural creative design products;
The student group includes college student and the competition unit is team or individual;
The professional group includes cultural creative enterprises and outstanding independent designers, and the competition unit is team or individual.
7. Entry Requirements
1 Categories: graphic visual design, product design, digital media
2 Entry requirements
(1) The collected works are based on related elements of the three propositions as the creative prototype, and participants can choose from the propositions and the categories by themselves.
(2) The works need to be functional, aesthetic, experiential, technical, and sustainable.
(3) Participants from the professional group need to submit physical works, and participants from the student group can replace it with a conceptual design drawing.
(4) Each work submitted is limited to one category (different derivative applications of the same creative concept are considered as one work).
(5) All entries shall be original designs, and the intellectual property disputes of the works shall be borne by the participants themselves.
(6) Characters, patterns, marks and other symbols about the names and organizations of the participants related to the design plan shall not be displayed in the works. Works that do not conform to this regulation will be regarded as invalid works;(7) Individuals or teams participating in the competition shall abide by the rules of the competition and other relevant requirements, and the organizer shall have the final right to interpret the rules of the competition.
(7) Individuals or teams participating in the competition shall abide by the rules of the competition and other relevant requirements, and the organizer shall have the final interpretation of the rules of the competition.
8. Registration and Submission of Works
1 Registration method
(1) Registration link: https://jinshuju.net/f/L3frAj, or click on the official website of the competition and the news push [I want to join].
(2) After successful registration, according to the selected proposition, the organizing committee will send the HD material to the entrants by email.
2 Time requirements
(1) Deadline for entry: November 5, 2019;
(2) Deadline for physical delivery: November 15, 2019.
3 Works requirements
(1) 300-500 words of work description. The description shall include participant introduction, introduction of the instructor, creative concept, practical function and social effect of the work, together with the statement of originality.
(2) No more than 5 pictures shall be submitted for a single piece of work, and no more than 8 pictures shall be submitted for work series. (Photos should reflect the full picture of the work and the details of the work in multiple angles with references, as well as the original appearance of the work as much as possible.).
(3) The electronic file of the picture is unified into JPG format, 300dpi, A3 paper size, and the size of a single picture shall not exceed 20M.
(4) Digital media works must also submit a 1-5 minute video presentation file (.mp4 format).
4 Submission method
(1) All entries must be named as “participating team / participant + the name of the work + category” (eg: Zhang San + Marine Design + Group A), and sent the electronic document to: email@example.com
(2) The physical work shall be sent to Yihan Li, at Room 201, No. 3 Art Inn, Ocean Art Research Center of Shenzhen University, No. 3688 Nanhai Avenue, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China. Tel: 17722507969.
(3) Receiving a text message or an email reply is considered as a successful submission.
Collection of works: September 23, 2019 - November 15, 2019
Announcement of Award: November 20-November 25, 2019
Award ceremony: November 29, 2019 (tentative)
First prize, 1, RMB 10000 yuan, fine trophy, medal and certificate;
Second prize, 2, RMB 5000 yuan each , fine trophy medal and certificates;
Third prize, 3, RMB 2000 yuan each, fine trophy, medal and certificate
The student group's winning works will be broadcast on the official website of Shenzhen Municipal Ocean and Fisheries Bureau, Ocean Art Research Center of Shenzhen University and Shenzhen Marine Culture & Art Research Society. The winning entries will have the opportunity to be exhibited at the Milan Design Week in 2020.
First Prize 1 person, Future Contribution Award (tentative name) Fine trophy and medal;
Second Prize 2 people, Industry Contribution Award (tentative name) Fine trophy and medal;
Third Prize 3 people, Livelihood Contribution Award (tentative name)Fine trophy and medal
The professional group's winning works may have the opportunity to become the annual brand of the International Marine Cultural Creative Design Competition in 2019, and will be promoted in the support media of the Ocean Art Research Center of Shenzhen University and the Shenzhen Ocean Culture & Art Research Society.
Winning teams of the professional group will have the opportunity to carry out in-depth research and development of the cultural creative products for the sea-related museums;
The winning entries will have the opportunity to be exhibited at the Milan Design Week in 2020.
11. Judging Criteria
The content of the entries should conform to the mainstream direction of social and cultural development, reflecting positive concepts and correct values.
The expert jury consists of professional senior designers, professors from universities and colleges and representatives of cultural creative enterprises.
Entries will be reviewed in terms of functionality, aesthetics, experience, technology and sustainability.
12. Intellectual Property Rights
1. The works designed by the entrants shall be original works that have not applied for patents or registered intellectual property rights, and do not infringe on the intellectual property rights of others; if there is any infringement of the intellectual property rights of others, the entrant shall bear all legal responsibilities.
2. The Organizing Committee of the Competition shall have the obligation to keep confidential the enlisted works, and will not be used, produced or implemented by third parties without the permission of the designer(s).
3. All materials provided by the organizing committee are for the purpose of this competition. All works of this competition are not allowed to be used commercially without authorization.
4. For the winning works of the competition, the organizer and the rights holders of the cultural resources project announced by the organizing committee will enjoy all rights including but not limited to intellectual property rights.
5. Physical entries will not be returned unless the entrant specifically indicates during submission.
6. If the entrant submits the work, the entrant shall grant the organizer the right to use his/her name, portrait and personal data in the advertisement related to the competition without any form of notice or compensation (except for violation of current laws). This regulation applies to all participants.
1.The competition is a public welfare event. The competition organizing committee will not charge the participants any registration fee, entry fee, etc. in the name of the event.
2.All award certificates for the competition will be issued by the Competition Organizing Committee.
3.Participants must ensure full responsibility for the intellectual property rights involved in their entries.
4.Participants shall fully understand the rules of the competition. Anyone who submits the entry will be deemed to have fully understood and accepted the rules of the competition and will be bound by it voluntarily.
5.The right to interpret the competition belongs to the organizing committee of the competition. If you have any doubts, please contact the staff of the organizing committee in time.
14. Contact Us
For more information, please contact the organizing committee:
Official website: http://ca.arts-sea.com/
Sending address: Room 201, No. 3 Art Inn, Ocean Art Research Center of Shenzhen University, No. 3688 Nanhai Avenue, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China